Tuesday 19 March 2013

Free Range

We are quite enjoying our time here in Kelowna.  It is a beautiful city, nestled in with the hills and Lake Okanagan.  Our condo opens right up to the boardwalk so the boys are enjoying the beach and the water.  It isn't warm here at all but none of us seem to mind.  Although, we have all agreed that we need to come back and enjoy it in the Summer, as it has a lot more to offer when the weather is hot.  Baby Goo has been waking every 2 hours and this has led to him and I having colds.  I am not bothered by it because it isn't taking me a way from much.  I am actually enjoying preparing meals, getting the kids ready for the day and bed and holding my teething and cranky baby. It's all I have to do right now so I can focus on it and do it well.  Of course, I wish this trip included me getting some great sleep in the king sized bed with amazingly fluffy pillows but I will settle for no housework, lots of downtime and a great view.  I mean, the baby was going to be cranky and sleepless anyway, so it might as well be here. Right?  Let's keep to the positive.  
There is a playground right across from our condo and the boys have played on it everyday. We have just let them go on their own and check in on them every few minutes.  I have been challenged by the book Free Range Kids written by Lenore Skenazy.  She very wittily responds to the hyper parenting or some call helicopter parenting phenomenon that plagues our generation of parents.  If you are looking to be challenged and have a great laugh at the same time, I highly recommend this book.  When I get home, I am going to train my 4 year old how to walk to his friends house that is 10 houses away and across a street himself.  That sounds pretty crazy to me.  I wonder how many of you are like, "Wow Mom, chill out a bit." or how many are thinking, "WHAT??!! You are a horrible mother!"  It would be interesting to hear where everyone stands on that.  Anyway, we are practicing here.  I read a great article about how children are unable to take risks and learn from their mistakes when their parents are around, like at the playground.  That too, was really challenging.  I know that my gasps and "be carefuls!"don't help my boys much at the playground, as far as taking risks, so this is a good opportunity to let them go for it. They have had a blast without us.  I looked out the window once and the boys had made friends with a little boy who was there with his grandparents.  Right away I thought, "these people must be wondering where the lazy and reckless parents are."  Then... I just let.. it.. go.  It is such a funny time we are in, isn't it?  I used to walk to grade one alone everyday, which was a 25 minute walk.  Now everyone meets their children at the door until grade 7.  Is this wrong?  Is it crazy? 

Well, the husband just put the boys to bed and the baby has quieted down, so its time for me to shut down the technology and enjoy the rest of the night.  Still working on memorizing Ephesians.  It is cool how much you can get out of one verse as you read it over and over.  Here is one that is really speaking to me.  
"In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one." Ephesians 6:16
IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES!!! There is never a time that I should let my guard down from the enemy.  I must always be protected with faith.  
Okay, off I go. Bless you friends. Have a great week! 
Pinterest Best Activity for the week....go outside and play.  That's it.  Have fun. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. We should be memorizing buddies. I am currently refreshing my memorized Ephesians chapter 6 and then have a few different chapters to memorize next on my list. As for the free range stuff I am with you in the struggle against judgement. I give them some freedom and then worry about being judged as a parent:( Enough already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, let's be accountable in our memorizing. And yes, "enough already!" You are a great mom!

      Delete