Tuesday 27 August 2013

Let them in the kitchen!



Wouldn't it just be easier to send them off so you can get it done quickly?  I struggle with that so often...daily...okay, every meal.  My boys aren't into toys. They just want do what we are doing.  When it comes to cooking, they LOVE to help out.  Today, I gave in.  Munch cut carrots and Bubblegum learned how to peel. He was so proud of himself.  They prepared way more than I needed for supper but then I realized we have some ready to go for snacks now.  Yay!  They also helped with cooking the rice and enjoyed watching the meatball making, excitedly adding the sweet and sour sauce afterward.  I had a thought while we were teaming up on our supper. 
One day, these boys could be enjoying making a meal for the family on their own.  If I allow them to follow their love and interest for being in the kitchen, maybe it will stick and we will all be blessed by it in the future.  Also, a future wife may really appreciate it too
People keep telling me how quickly kids grow up.  I am really trying to hold onto that and enjoy the eagerness of the boys to be with me in everything I do. (Except going to the bathroom, I closed the door on that one).  Training doesn't start when they are 9; by then, it's too late.  If they are eager to learn about cooking and doing laundry and pruning shrubs now, then I am going to bite my tongue and take advantage of it...while they still care.  Maybe just maybe, I will be able to put my feet up and let these boys make a few meals for me.  For that I say, "Let them cook!" 

Speaking of carrots, I tried this Ginger Glazed Carrot recipe from  http://stephaniecooks.blogspot.ca/  Yum! 


Ingredients:
6-7 carrots, peeled and sliced into even rings
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. crushed garlic and ginger (or 1 tbsp. each)
1.5 tbsp. butter, softened
1 tbsp. honey
Salt
Pepper
Parsley

Directions:
1- Heat a large skillet with the oil over medium high heat.
2- Add the garlic and ginger, allow to heat for about 1-2 minutes.
3- Add the carrot rings. Cook for about 20 minutes, until tender, stirring frequently.
4- Once the carrots are tender, combine the butter and honey in a small bowl. Add the honey butter to the skillet, stirring to coat.
5- Season with salt, pepper, and parsley to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment